Friday, May 15, 2009

I Feel Pretty

Me and Monica on my birthday, at the very end of our Disney day.

Smart.
Pretty.
Hot.
Cute.
Beautiful.
Sassy.
Sweet.
Kind.
Generous.
Sexy.

There are many words we can use to describe ourselves.
The way we see ourselves.
The way we think others see us.

As girls...women, we are always climbing the slippery slope of self-confidence and self-doubt whether we admit it or not. It's true.

I'd like to think that I am not defined by the too dark shade of lipstick I choose to wear, or the "cutting off my circulation" jeans I'm too lazy to change out of.

Don't judge me if I pick up my kids from school today, wearing sweats and an
"I Love Bear Hugs" tee shirt.

Don't make assumptions about me, if I have my hair in a ponytail or happen to have a zit (or two) on my chin.

Those things do not define who I am.
They are just incidental things, things that happen on a sometimes daily basis.
Things, I am okay with.

Sometimes I have a great hair day.
Sometimes my skin is almost totally clear.
Sometimes my "skinny" jeans are my "these fit me without having to hold my breath" jeans.
Sometimes I eat salad and feel good about it.
Sometimes I don't.

There are so many cool and uncool things about being female.
Today, I choose to embrace the cool parts.

No comments: